Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Houston, We Have a Pumpkin Problem


So, I kept my promise to JR and got him a pumpkin carving kit. He was very excited about it and picked out an alien to carve. JR still doesn't like the pumpkin guts and screams out that they are "gross and stinky". Jason, of course, keeps asking him, "How are you going to gut a deer if you can't clean out a pumpkin?!" That one is up to Jason and JR to work out on their own, 'cause I guarantee I won't be around for that. Anyway, the latest pumpkin carving took place on Friday. For you non Texans out there, you will see that Jason and JR are both wearing shorts and short sleeves. It was still in the upper 80's (about 30 for our non American friends) until yesterday, when it finally cooled off. I didn't realize just how fast a carved pumpkin could rot in the Texas heat, but rot it did. It is now a pile of mush on my front porch (and it will just have to stay that way until Jason moves it, because I am not touching it). Now, you might be wondering why I don't have a picture of this alien carved into a pumpkin. Well, to make matters worse, while we were standing back admiring JR and Jason's pumpkin handy work, Harley(Jason's 15 year old blue heeler), walked up and bit off the alien's hand. And yes, she ate it. I guess pumpkin tastes good to big, old dogs because within the next day she had eaten the whole alien. So as the rotting process started, we basically had a pumpkin with just a big hole in the side of it. So much for a pumpkin patch!

No comments: