Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Class, Pay Attention

The ex-school teacher in me feels like getting back to my roots, so here's a little lesson for everybody on the best way to take twins to the doctor:

Step 1: Even though the doctor's office is 2 miles from your house, leave 30 minutes early.
Step 2: Don't even bother trying to find a parking spot in the lower portion of the parking garage. You have to open the car doors wide enough to get them out, and have room to work when maneuvering them around. Just go to the top floor where you can park without anybody on either side of you.
Step 3: When the doctor's office is too small to handle your double stroller, plan ahead on how you will get from the parking garage, down to the crosswalk (which goes over the street), and to the doctor's office on the 7th floor.
Step 4: Take first baby out of car and place on the ground in carseat.
Step5: Take second baby out of car and place on the ground in carseat.
Step 6: Take smallest baby out of carseat and strap him to you in the Snuggie.
Step 7: Put empty carseat back in car.
Step 8: Make sure you have diaper bag (which is a backpack).
Step 9: Lock the car, put on backpack. You should now have a baby on your front, and a backpack on your back. Use a backpack for a diaper bag /purse so you don't have a diaper bag and or purse slipping down your arm. (Thanks again for the b-pack, Allison).
Step 10: Pick up carseat that has a baby in it.
Step 11: Make friendly conversation on both elevator rides with all the people who comment "Oh, you have twins!"
Step 12: Walk in doctor's office right on time.

So, I am pretty proud of myself that I was able to get them both to the doctor. I've always had my mom or Sherry with me before. The doctor said they were doing good, but I need to make them do more tummy-time. I told her they had slept through the night for 3 nights and she told me not to feed them at night if they wake up from now on. They are still little guys for their age, Kyle is 13 lbs 12 oz and Reed is 12 lbs 10 oz which puts them in the 25% and 10%, but they aren't "falling off the growth chart" as she called it, so she's happy. Poor little things got 3 shots today and they really screamed. I needed a grandmother there with another set of arms to comfort. (Now I've probably made both grandmothers cry). Anyway, they're busy doing some big sleeping and swinging right now, so don't worry grandmothers, their fine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have done it. I would still be wondering "now which backpack did I put my baby inside?"

Step #13: Go out and buy myself a nice big present as a reward for making an E for EXCELLENT. Maw-maw

Anonymous said...

Great Job Jan! You deserve a Perfect grade, and your step by step directions are great. Motherhood is the ultimate teacher of management skills. Sounds like you are quickly achieving the Masters Degree of Motherhood. Love ya...Lu

Anonymous said...

You see if I just would retire------I could have been there!!!!! I don't know about Grandma R, but I would have been worthless once the Doc came at them with a needle anyway.

So a short doctor's visit took from the time JR got on the bus until just about time for his arrival home when you include the loading and unloading time at both locations.

Granny S