Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Recession? Have They Told Starbucks Yet?

If you’ve turned on the news lately then you’ve heard all the doom and gloom of this terrible recession we’re in…the recession that only King O. will be able to save us from. Now I’m with you on gas prices; I cringe every time we have to fill up. But a recession? Seems nobody told the throngs of people that were at the mall Saturday night. While Jason and JR were enjoying Kung Fu Panda, I pushed the babies around Memorial City Mall, and it was so packed, I actually felt crowded. This coming from somebody who lived in a city of 16 million people; I know what crowded is. Saturday night felt like a weekend trip to the Pearl Market in Beijing! That’s when I thought of all this recession talk, and started paying attention to people. Did they have packages? Were they just hanging out? Were they spending their Economic Stimulus Checks? The news keeps saying we’re all so desperate we’re going to spend our ESC on food. News media, you are absolutely right, every kid over four years old was walking around with a $5 smoothie, a Starbucks Mocha Frappe Frou-Frou, or a $3 Double Doozie Cookie. Not to fear, our children aren’t going hungry because every kid in the family would have their own…We wouldn’t want to risk somebody putting in a call to CPS if they saw a child having to actually…gasp…share! Don’t worry about the adults either; they all had their own $5 Jamba Juice, Cinnabon, or $6 Cold Stone Creamery ice cream. I guess the recession is hitting the Ingersoll family harder than the rest of the mall patrons. Jason and JR shared the $5 Kiddy Pack at the movies, while the family in line in front of them spent $45 (yes that’s 45 dollars) on concessions. So what’s the problem with having a treat every once in awhile you ask? Not one thing. I’m sure every kid in the family was celebrating a special day when I saw family after family with kids loaded down with stuffed animals from Build -A -Bear. I’m sure all the women I saw lined up at the register in the Coach store were picking out their birthday presents. I’m positive the teenagers loaded down with shopping bags from Abercrombie were just beating the shopping rush for their much need school clothes. All kidding aside, how people spend their money isn’t any of my business…just don’t complain about the economy while you're putting 2 Dooney and Bourke purses on hold . Then again…Actually, I’ll be happy to listen to you...if you give me a bite of your Cinnabon!

4 comments:

Me Me Me said...

Mmmm Cinnabon!

hee! I totally agree! It always hits me when I see people buying bottles of water by the pallet. Don't they have faucets? Fridges with water dispensers in them?

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! You have really hit the nail on the head this time. I guess it will take "Sorry your credit card has been rejected" due to over the limit, of course, or the budget runs out before the house payment gets made to wake up some folks. I keep trying to get the 'kiddy pack' at the movies and they tell me I am toooo old - then what is on special for the Senior Citizen today????

Granny S

Kristi said...

I hear ya! Our already tight belt is definitely feeling the squeeze these days. Going to the movies with all the "trimmings" is absolutely a thing of the past for the Gann's.

Anonymous said...

I concur w/Granny S - YOU GO GIRL! Brilliant post! -t.