Monday, September 22, 2008

Native American Cuisine

Yes, we are still Ike refugees at Granny Sherry's house, but Praise the Lord (or as my mom would say 'PTL') JR started back to school today. And with the starting of school, JR was able to crack me up with one of our conversations:

JR: Mommy, Do you know about plaid corn?
Me: Plaid corn?
JR: Yes, plaid corn. It's what the Indians ate. Its real name is 'Indian Corn', but it looks plaid.
Me: Oh! Yes, JR, I know what you're talking about.
JR: God made plaid corn, then he made yellow corn.
Me: Are you learning about the Indians at school?
(I'm a little confused at this point because I'm thinking it's too early for Thanksgiving talk.)
JR: No, we got to change the season to 'fall', and the picture is of plaid corn. Mrs. Jennings told us that the Indians ate plaid corn.
Me: Oh, okay. Did she tell you what else the Indians ate or did they just eat plaid corn?
JR: Mommy, they ate everything we eat...except it was all plaid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That JR is a mess in this world.I'm glad he's able to get back to school even if it does take you an hour and 15 minutes to take him. Maw-maw

Anonymous said...

I will never look at plaid the same way now. Cute story! As Art Linkletter said "Kids say the darndest things".
Lu