Thursday, October 30, 2008

No to Pumpkin Guts, Yes to Real Guts

I guess you'd say that we live in "the city" of Houston. We aren't in the suburbs, and we don't even live in a neighborhood. Our street is a horseshoe shape and has about 30 houses on it. Out of those 30 houses only one of our neighbors has a kid. Needless to say, Halloween is pretty limited around here. I was shocked that our church wasn't having anything this year, so I have been trying to find things for JR to do to distract him from the fact that there won't be much door to door trick-or-treating going on. I took him to the Health Museum today for their Halloween festivities (which were super cute, and I personally enjoyed the Health Museum much more than the Children's Museum). Most everything was traditional Halloween stuff: face painting, balloon animals, games. But they also had RN and MD students from UT Medical School who had different booths. Now I really wasn't sure how JR would react to their displays since he had just gone into absolute hysterics over "pumpkin guts" on Saturday. Honestly, I was in total shock when he became completely enthralled in the difference between the healthy lung and the diseased lung. He reached up to grab them so fast they couldn't even get a glove on him before he touched it. (Real lungs...ick!) He was very happy to learn that he has nice, pink lungs...since he doesn't smoke...like Popeye. The next booth was a human heart. I told him. "JR, that's a real heart. It's not pretend." Oh yeah, he was happy to hold it. He won't touch pumpkin seeds, but a human heart, no problem! (Luckily, we got the gloves on him this time.) He was more worried about how hard it had to be for them to cut the heart up into 4 pieces than anything else. What can I say, he's JR. So here he is in all his Halloween glory...JR as Optimus Prime, the heart surgeon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you took little Optimus Prime on a fun field trip. MR

Kristi said...

all I have to say is "Ewwwwww"! But JR sure does look great in his Optimus Prime costume!