Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bus-ing It

I know I've said this before, but JR loves the bus. I mean, really, really loves the bus. And to that I say: Praise the Lord! JR's love for the bus really helps me out. Especially since we live on what I would call "the top" of a mountain, and JR's school is near "the bottom" of the mountain. The Durango schools say that a Colorado school bus is 47 times safer than the average family car. I'm actually willing to bet that a Colorado school bus is 99 times safer than any car this native Texan could drive through the snow and ice. You'll remember that I told you there's only 1 school bus for his elementary, well in the mornings there's only 1 school bus for our whole neighborhood. Yep, the high school kids ride with them. JR told me, "Mommy! There's this one kid on our bus, and he's so big he's like a High School Musical Kid!" And since the High School Musical kids are all skinny and gorgeous, I'm guessing JR's use of the word "big" meant "tall". At the ripe old age of 5 I am also too unworthy to hang out with JR either. I'm not allowed to get too close to the actual stop, and lately I've been coming home with JR's backpack in the afternoon since he wants to walk home with Corbin. Corbin lives directly across the street, and since he's in the first grade and has a Wii, he's the absolute coolest person alive in JR's world. Did I mention Corbin's mom is a pediatrician? Oh yeah she is! As Joel Osteen would say, "The favor of the Lord is upon us." So here's a picture of JR getting on the bus in the morning. He's in the back with the blue backpack (not to worry, we've unboxed his Spiderman backpack so all is well with the world again). You can see how far back I'm required to be, and you also get to see all the High School Musical Kids.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And his comment to this picture would be "Oh No - that's not MY Mom waiting up the hill where she thinks I don't know she is still watching. I guess Hugs and kisses goodbye are a thing of the past. How quickly they grow up!
GS

Anonymous said...

I think JR thinks the bus is some sort of wild ride at an amusement park that just happens to end up at the school (or the top of the mountain). God bless school bus drivers. Maw-Maw

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord he likes the ride the school bus! I would hate to drive on those roads too!
Lu

kyle and robin said...

I see JR is being initiated into the frozen weather by way of chapped lips...or should I say the skin around the lips. I swear - this is a basic necessity of all young children who are living in snowy climates. adorable :)

Jan said...

Yes! And he refuses to wear chapstick, he just wipes it off. So he just walks around looking like he just drank a gallon of red kool-aid...All I do is put on lotion, chapstick, and try to keep from getting shocked from the static electricity. It's Beijing all over again!

Friedt Family said...

Too funny! And can I just say that I agree with JR, Corbin probably is the COOLEST...I mean, what more could you ask for than a kid across the street with a Wii and a pediatrician for a mom??!!:-)

JoAnn/Jerry said...

Welcome to the "land of snow and ice"!!! Lived with it all my life and will never love it!! It's 25 below zero here today with a wind chill of 50 below!! Hope the temps are moderate there so you can all enjoy the "snow" activities!!