Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Passover Dinner

If you've ever been around my mother for more than 15 minutes then you're probably aware that she's "a German Jew". I've been hearing that since I can remember, and recently she's upped it a notch and goes on to say that she thinks all her relatives died in The Holocaust because she has no information about her German ancestors. Jason and I always laugh when my mom brings up being a "German Jew" since she's also a dyed-in-the-wool Presbyterian. (She's gone to the Baptist church with my dad for 35 years but refuses to join.) But, to her credit, her great grandfather really was German, and he really was Jewish. He came over and became a Catholic so he could buy land in Texas. (Then I think somebody along the way married a Presbyterian which is how she's not a German Catholic Jew.) I've never claimed my German Jewish heritage. In fact, the only time it comes up is if somebody comments on how black my natural hair color is. It's then I'll say, "Oh, I got it from my mom; she likes to holler out that she's a German Jew." So you can imagine my mom's excitement today when I told her Jason and I were going to a Passover Seder Dinner at our church put on by Jews for Jesus. (Her exact words to me were: "Be sure and tell them your mother is a German Jew!") Jason and I both really enjoyed the dinner, and were amazed how the Passover story in Exodus could so parallel the life, death, and Resurrection of Christ. I even got to participate when, as the "woman of the house", I got to light the Passover candles. Of course I burned my finger in trying to do so, but still was happy I had a part. Some of the food was good, but I had to choke down the raw onion, horseradish, and parsley dipped in salt water. (Here's my Passover plate.)
Part of the Passover dinner involves dipping your unleavened bread into wine (Hello? Lord's Supper anyone?) which is how we ended a very nice evening. And BTW, Mom, just let me know if you want me to get you a Jews for Jesus T-shirt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny. And BTW a Presbyterian could have lit the candle with no problem. Interesting night. MR

Anonymous said...

What a neat evening and interesting story it is - you give graat coverage although I will have to admit that I did talk to Jason and he was pretty excited about it too - better coverage than usual from him. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

SOunds like an interesting meal.
I bet MR would like that Jews for Jesus shirt.
Lu

Marcia said...

Jan - Adam will be so proud. I'm wondering how I'm going to explain to our future kids that they are 1/4 Catholic, 1/4 Baptist, and 1/2 Jewish. To avoid religious confusion we'll just celebrate everything. We're definitely 100% into parties and celebrations ;o)