Sunday, June 7, 2009

On Patrol

I picked up the local paper the other day, and was thoroughly amused by the police report. I have a fondness for that particular section of the paper (and no, I was never in it). My first two years of teaching were in the small, East Texas town of Crockett. I had some great kids (like my friend and loyal blog reader, JD, the opera singer) which were in my health class. And then I also taught English/language arts to another group of kids who could barely read. Those kids could have cared less about the stories in their textbook, so I started photocopying the local newspaper and bringing it in for us to read together as a class. Of course they loved the sports section, but their real favorite was "On Patrol". Now Crockett is a small town, but 'On Patrol' gives you plenty of reading material. And wouldn't you know it, the kids always seemed to have even more details about the crimes since somebody's cousin, uncle, auntie, or sister's baby daddy was always involved. But here in Durango, I don't think the newspaper police report would be much of a teaching tool for me. Check out Thursday's edition:

As you can see, it's still pretty wild and woolly here in the Old West!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Haha! What you may not yet know is that the excerpts chosen are the silliest reports. And speaking of teaching and opera singers, at the end of the year a singing teacher at Fort Lewis gathers all the reports and composes them into an opera. Stay tuned for that around Christmas!

Friedt Family said...

The driver had to SLAM on his brakes, not just apply them gently?! Oh the humanity...I hope that skateboarder was thoroughly reprimanded for such a blatant wrong doing!! PS-sister's baby daddy...love it:-)

Granny S said...

With excitement like that, how do you sleep at night - the skateboarder wasn't JR or Jason with a runaways skate board was it?