Saturday, June 6, 2009

Row Your Boat

Jason and JR were supposed to go rafting on the Animas River a few weekends back. The morning they were supposed to go we got a phone call that they were upping the minimum age to 8 due to the river being so high (which we were fine with since our neighbor had just told us how a kid had broken his arm the day before when the raft flipped). So with the river running a bit lower, Jason and JR were able to take their trip today. The guide service offers trips from 4 days to 2 hours. (Guess which one we picked?) The 2 hour trip was just perfect, and so convenient since it is all right here in town. JR was even able to ride out all the rapids (sometimes they have little ones get out and walk around). And of course, he loved it. They went ahead and rented wetsuits, which I think were pretty much a necessity. It's still not warm here (I think it was about 50 this morning) and Jason said the water was freezing. I guess that's what water feels like when it's melted snow from the mountains. Jason said, "And I always thought the Guadalupe was cold." No, the Guadalupe this is not. So here are my big adventures...Oh, and the little adventurers were beyond furious that they didn't get to go.

Taking it easy


Here come the rapids

And they're under! If you look close you can see the top of Jason's hat.

Coming out. There's my baby!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW JR had fun. Water and danger....right down his alley. I'm glad you had such good pictures. Maw-Maw

Granny S said...

OH MY GOODNESS...One time it was a good thing that this Granny wasn't there to watch! Really good photo shots.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is adventure! Glad the ride was loads of fun and they both stayed in the boat! I agree with Sherry--OH MY GOODNESS!
Lu

Anonymous said...

How did you get such good pictures? Did you buy them? Fun times! We're going rafting in Yellowstone. I wonder if I should get a wetsuit!?Shel

Jan said...

Shel, the first two I took, the last 3 the rafting company took, so yes, we bought them. They rented their wetsuits, so I'm sure whoever you are rafting with will also rent wetsuits. Jason said he was glad they got them!