Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Skate Dude

I was going to save this until JR had gone to all the classes, but I get such a kick out of his skateboarding lessons that I had to go ahead and post. I like to joke about how physically fit Durango is, but seriously, what other town of 15,000 people even has a skate park? Much less offers skateboarding lessons? Before his class started Jason and I were laughing about who would teach skateboarding. We were saying, "You think they'll just ask some random skaters?" Well, his teachers certainly look like your typical skateboarding dudes, but they're actually really good with the kids.
Check out Mr. Mike. (Which I just have to laugh when JR puts 'Mr.' in front of their names....I would guess they probably aren't called 'Mr.' very often.)


And here he is with Mr. Joel (who when he called me identified himself as "The Skate Dude").


JR's pretty timid when it comes to skateboarding. He was much more aggressive in snowboarding since he wasn't scared of falling in the snow...he's pretty nervous about concrete falling. So he's actually already exceeded my expectations. I was just hoping they could teach him how to stand up and ride a little bit. Never did I expect him to be doing stuff like this.

Hopefully I can get some video of him on Friday, mainly because he really wants his daddy to see what all he can do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JR looks like he knows the moves. That is wonderful about Durango having a skate park. MR

Granny S said...

Impressive pictures JR - Your Granny wants to see what you can do too.

From "paitiently waiting for video dude"