Saturday, July 18, 2009

Of Course I've Got a Story

I'm coming to you tonight from Amarillo, Texas. Home of the "Free 72 Ounce Steak" (if you can eat the steak, side salad, roll, shrimp cocktail, and baked potato in less than an hour). The drive was pretty decent. The babies really like Handy Manny so the HM DVD was in full rotation. Of course it wouldn't be a trip if I didn't have at least one good story for you: So we decided to eat lunch about an hour outside of Ft. Worth at a Burger King. It was a BK inside a big gas station/convenience store so there was a crowded parking lot with lots of cars coming and going, and it was right there on the interstate. My mom and I got out of the car and both left our car doors open. I got Reed out of his car seat and started changing his diaper (I change diapers in the car because I really don't like bathroom changing stations.) As I was changing his diaper, my mom was still struggling to get Kyle out of his car seat. About that time I looked up and said, "Where's Hunter?" At this point I've got a half diapered 18 month old, a furious 18 month old that's half strapped to a car seat, and a 6 year old screaming, "Hunter's my puppy! I love him! Where is he?" My mom grabs JR by the hand and they start looking for him (leaving Kyle half straped to the car seat). She's asking everyone if they'd seen him, and I'm starting to plan my story on how I'm going to break it to Jason that I lost our dog. Finally a man rolls down his window and says, "Are you looking for a poodle? It went that way." As my mom rounds the corner to the store entrance, she sees a lady coming out the door holding Hunter. I'm telling ya, ever since we left him with Crazy Dog Lady he has been so weird. He basically jumped out the front car door, ran around the store, and went inside! Luckily we have him back, although I thought I better get the story out there because my mom is already retelling it...with embellishments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now Jan, Margaret wouldn't embellish a story would she! Really, I am glad y'all made it to Amarillo safely, that is a long haul, especially with two babies and a six year old. Hopefully tomorrow leg of the journey will be somewhat uneventful yet fun.
Love ya...Lu

Granny S said...

Hey, Hunter was hungry too and just went inside to put in his order, knowing full well that waiting on the whole crew to get there would just take way too long. You go Hunts, don't get left out, you can't afford to miss a meal.