Thursday, August 27, 2009

Food Network Better Give Me My Own Show For This

It seems my life has revolved around food lately. Which would be perfectly fine if I wasn't the one having to cook it! Just a little FYI, Chinese teenage boys can eat. They might eat rice everyday in China, but they aren't eating it here. Jason didn't really believe me when I told him Harry ate an entire poppy seed chicken casserole, but after watching him devour 3/4 of a tator tot casserole, Jason gave me the "you were right" look. In fact, I was "so right" that Jason called me today to tell me he had bought an FFA hog to split with a friend, and was trying to find 3 other people to go in with him for a steer. (You can stop laughing, I'm actually being completely serious.) I figure I'll tell the Durangoans that we think it's important to eat organic meat instead of that I'm trying to feed a Chinese teenager.
I admit it freely, I have no shame: I am not a cook. I don't pretend to be a cook, I don't like to cook, and quite frankly...it makes me nervous. I'm okay with baking (which must be the reason I like to make casseroles). But browning meat is as much skillet work as I'm comfortable with (and I've just recently mastered that). But you know what's even worse than having to cook? The meal planning. Oh my goodness...It's a nightmare! I can't just whip something up from what I've got in the kitchen, so I actually have to preplan what I'm going to serve for the week. And believe me, I'm saving these "weekly menus" and they are going into heavy rotation once I run out of ideas. So here's the deal: if you've got any easy (and keep in mind what's easy for you probably isn't easy for me) recipes that don't require a lot of "stove action", I'm all ears. I'm great at casseroley type things and I LOVE the crock-pot. And DO NOT send me anything made by Rachel Ray (I tried to make one of her 30-minute meals once and it was a total disaster. Not only did Jason have to come to my rescue, it took us an hour and half to get something on the table. Even Jason thought her recipes were hard.)
And just to prove that I'm actually cooking everynight, I have pictures. Now one of these pictures has already been accused of being a fake when I posted it on Facebook. But, sadly, they are all too real. And why do I look so happy when I hate cooking you might ask? Smiling through my pain, my friends....smiling through my pain....


And if you're wondering how I'm typing this post during the dinner hour....I've got a lasagna in the oven, baby!

7 comments:

Unbiased Granny S said...

Looks like a new reality home cooking show coming up. You may not like it, but you look really great doing it. Too pretty to be a really good cook, but cute enough to get by with anything you put on the table.

Anonymous said...

At least you know your way around the kitchen...Harry would starve at my house,but I will give you Daddy's Hot Water Cornbread recipe. One cup of meal, about a tsp. of salt, use hot boiling water to make a paste out of this. Use your hands to make a patty and fry it in hot peanut oil.

Mark Jones said...

You'll have to come on over to our house and I'll give you a lesson or two. Shoot, maybe Shelly would even learn something and I wouldn't have to cook someday! :)

Allison said...

OMG you made a lasagna?!?!?! I'm so proud of you! Unless of course it's Stouffers... lol

Stacy said...

Sending you a facebook message with some of my faves...easy, fast, and lots of crockpot!

Mendi said...

I'll e-mail you some recipes. I can proudly say that after 10 years of marriage I'm a darn good cook. I totally prefer easy stuff tho, who has time to chop stuff for hours?!
Here's one easy one:
Pot roast. Put it in a crock pot, on high to brown both sides (1 hour), turn down to med. add potatoes, carrots, onions, and one packet of McCormack's AuJus. Keep it in the crock pot All day. (like 6 hours.) DONE!

Anonymous said...

Think of this time as training for when your boys are teenagers. Just imagine feeding two teen males! I'm with Sherry, you look too pretty to not enjoy cooking. I'll email you a few easy recipes. Check out Sarah's blog about her projected cooking blog (aka Julie and Julia).
Lu