Saturday, August 8, 2009

Just Get on with the Pin Trick!

We're home from the great outdoors of Yellowstone! I'll be posting some of those stories later, but today I wanted to post about our stop in Salt Lake City. We thought SLC would be a good place to spend the night since it's about half way, and I wanted to see "some Mormon stuff". Well, we definitely got to see The Mormon Stuff. I don't know why, but I honestly thought we'd just be able to take the tour where you get to hear the pin drop in the Tabernacle without anybody trying to convert us. (As my friend, JD, put it....I "wanted to go on the Samantha Brown Tabernacle tour".) The second we walked in the visitor's center I realized what I had gotten us into. I put on my "don't look at me, talk to me, or mess with me" face and breezed right passed the two "greeters". Jason, of course, strolls in and starts acting "interested". Next thing I know, Jason's standing there with 2 girls who are happily going to take us on a private tour. (Our girls were from Canada and England, but I heard plenty other "tour guides" speaking in every language imaginable.)
Our "tour guides" were as nice as could be. Happy to let us take pictures of whatever we wanted, and more than happy to tell us all about their founder, Joseph Smith. Now, if you know me, then you also know I have no poker face. And since Jason had us on a private tour, I tried my best to keep my sunglasses on as much as possible as to not completely give away what I was really thinking.
So here's the Temple, which is what I thought we were going to get to tour since I thought this was the Tabernacle. Nope. And this is as close as we could get to the Temple. The Tabernacle is way smaller and more nondescript than I thought it would be. I guess it's so nondescript that I didn't even find it picture worthy since I didn't even take a picture of it.

Finally, they let us actually go in the Tabernacle. They didn't do the pin trick, but the kids got to echo their voices all they wanted...which is why JR is so excited in the picture. And you'll also notice Reed is none too happy about being in the Tabernacle. My mom would say that's because Reed wants to be a Presbyterian. (Reed picked my mom's Catechism off her book shelf and carried it around with him for half a day, hence his desire to be Presbyterian.)

And here's JR with the 15,000 organ pipes. Again, I can't believe how small it was!
And even though Jason acted "interested" as he walked in the door, I think they pretty much figured out we weren't and we only got the soft sell. My badgering of one of the "tour guides" about her use of the word "prophet" to describe Jesus was probably a big clue. Oh, and BTW, the homes outside of Salt Lake City are enormous. I'm just sayin....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your tour brought back memories. Yes, Reed will make a great Presbyterian. Maw Maw