Sunday, December 27, 2009

Nor-way, Jose!

I've written many times about my mom being a German-Jew-Presbyterian. My dad has always said 'Reynolds' is Irish, but I just think of us as being "Native Texan". So by my calculations that makes me a big ol' Irish-Texan-German-Jew-Presbyterian that's actually a Baptist-mutt. Which is why I always find it exciting that my kids are 25% Norwegian, thanks to Granny Sherry's 100 percentness. So last night we had a traditional Norwegian dinner. Actually, Sherry said we should be eating lutefisk for a real Norwegian Christmas dinner, but even Sherry isn't interested in eating fish soaked in lye. Instead, we ate homemade Swedish meatballs. And as you can see, Reed was a big fan of the meatballs. I guess he figured he better really enjoy the food since he hit the Norway genes jackpot as he inherited the bluest eyes and the blondest hair of the bunch.
I was most excited about having lefse for dessert. Now I'm sure the Rochester Cousins have lefse once a week, but it's actually a real treat for us since Sherry had to order it from Minnesota (the only place in the entire country you can get it).
All you other non-Norwegians must be wondering...what in the world is lefse? Well, the best way to explain it: it's like a really, really thin tortilla and you eat it with soft butter (apparently, the butter being soft is super important) and brown sugar. You can see the 50% Norwegian preparing his lefse here. (Soft butter in the bottom right hand corner.) Of course, this nonNorwegian- German-Jew-Baptist-Irish-Texan is happy to eat lefse whether the butter is hard or soft. I mean, can you really go wrong with any kind of butter...and brown sugar? I'm thinkin' not!

Norwegians eating meatballs.


Norwegians eating lefse.

3 comments:

JoAnn/Jerry said...

Hey you, Norwegians and Wannabe Norwegians!! You're looking good eating all that Norwegian "soul food"!! We had the same meal, no lutefisk here either, only Jerry, Steve and Todd would eat it!! I made 100 lefse with Nancy and Terry's help this year.Note: it keeps forever in the freezer (can be refrozen too). We had one pkg. from last year and it was just as good!! Happy New Year!!

kyle and robin said...

good work! we had a wonderful norwegian meal on christmas eve and I feel extra lucky to have a package of lefse in my fridge right now. come to think of it...I might go eat some right now!

Anonymous said...

I want some lefse right now!!! Yum!! Shel