Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Seriously, When is my 'Mom of the Year' Trophy Arriving?

Yet again, my amazing mothering techniques were on display for all to see today. It's Wednesday, so you know what that means. Yep, Tiny Tots day. The Sliding Mat of Danger was back again, but the teacher had it turned on its side, so it wasn't near as tall as it has been in the past. In fact, the mat was so short, I could reach about 3/4 the way up. (Are you impressed with my use of a fraction? I am.) So Kyle was first to climb The Mat of Danger, and since I was able to reach farther, I was giving him a little help. Problem was, I helped him a little too much. As he neared the top, I gave him a little extra boost, which sent him up and over the top of the mat and pinned him between the wall and the back of the mat.
And what did I do? Did I scale the mat myself to rescue my child? Try to run behind it in case he dropped to the ground?
Um, No.
Rather than actually trying to save my child, I choose to use the Jan Approach to critical situations: I screamed out.
"Oh no! I've lost him!"
Of course Kyle was busy putting on a dramatic showcase all his own. As the teacher climbed up behind the mat to rescue him, I just knew I had traumatized my child for life. But, surprisingly, the little dramatist shook it off and went right back to Danger Mat climbing. I couldn't believe it! In the end, the day turned out just like Kyle and I like it...crisis averted and hoopla aplenty.
(And by the way, my "helping" was much more minimal for the rest of class.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"OH NO! I've lost him!" How did you come up with that line? It's hilarious. MR

GS said...

Kyle is a trojan - scream a lot and get it out of his system and then, very quickly, life as normal. Wonder where he gets that! I agree with MR - great line.

Anonymous said...

I agree with MR, I don't know where that came from.
I like the picture additions to your blog.
Lu