Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Gotta Have 'Em!

There are some standard things you need in Houston to survive:

  • air-conditioning
  • swimming pool in your backyard or neighborhood
  • security system
  • mosquito spray

None of these thing we need (or even have) here in Durango. But the things I do need here, I really, really need. As we have hit the winter months head on, I began thinking about the things I use here daily. Things I wouldn't need in Houston. (And, unfortunately, I'm not getting a kick-back or any freebies. I just love these things that much.)

Ice spikes for my boots.

Yeah, it's not enough to just have snow boots, I actually have to put spikes on them to keep myself upright. I didn't have them on the other day as I was walking to the mailbox and I fell flat on my face. Flat as in: totally spread-eagle-on-my stomach-flat. (Yes, Mom, I'm fine; which is why I didn't tell you about it.) The ice spikes aren't coming off my boots til summer. (not spring. summer.)

This stuff is a-ma-zing.

I coat my face with this before we go skiing. Yep, sunscreen to go skiing. You're that much closer to the sun, plus the sun reflects off the snow. Makes summer in Houston look like Seattle.

My $.97 spa treatment.

My hands haven't been this dry since I was washing them every 5-seconds when the babies came home from the NICU. You know it's bad when your hands burn after lotion. Thanks to this little wonder, I don't feel (and look) like I'm moulting anymore.

I'm saying "Yes!"

Y'all know I could care less if something is organic or not, and I actually got this because it was free with a purchase at Walgreen's, but oh my goodness, this stuff is good. The best part: JR will put this one on! Jason and I were laughing that a tube of Chapstick would last us a year in Houston. We go through one a month now.

And, no, I can't pick which one I would take with me if I was stranded on a deserted Durango snow covered island. And, yes, I'm well aware I would so not have made it as a pioneer woman!

4 comments:

Shelly said...

I agree on the sunblock. That stuff rocks! We have at least three open tubes that I can think of in various places in the house at this moment. Plus on tiny "gift with purchase" one that lives in the diaper bag! Hey, when you have transparent children, you need special tools.

Anonymous said...

I'm never going to complain again. At least not until we have a hot dry summer. MR

Anonymous said...

Wow, your Mary Poppins bag must be really big......I too shall not complain....until there is no rain!
Lu

GS said...

Hey, without those spikes for shoes, I would never have gotten out of your front porch!