Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Funny Pages

I usually don't mix my Facebook updates and my blog posts.  I like to keep them in two separate worlds.  But one of my status updates has had me thinking. 

Here's what I said:
Not a fan of The New Scooby Doo's "upgrade" of Velma. Velma doesn't need (nor would she want) fringy bangs, new glasses, or a bow in her hair! I've always identified with Velma. Although, in college, a guy told me I looked like Peppermint Patty. (I think I still may need counseling for that one.)

Here's the new Velma

And here's the old Velma, as modeled by me, on two different Halloweens.


I'm a Velma, right? 
I mean, there's no way anybody would ever mistake me for Peppermint Patty. 
 Please, the girl wears sensible shoes...she doesn't even own a pair of platforms.

But, as we women sometimes do, I started to obsess.
I couldn't help but replay the Peppermint Patty Day over and over.

*Flashback* 
I was finishing up getting my teaching certificate (I was already teaching, just needed my certificate) in a summer school "technology class". (Which is now laughable. I think we learned how to do email and power point.) This was before digital cameras, so we had to take a picture of ourselves with the computer camera and then print it out.  There was a guy standing behind me in line at the printer, and when mine came out he said, "Wow. You look like Peppermint Patty." 
No laugh, no giggle, no sarcasm. Just fact. 
It was like he was thinking "This chick looks like a cartoon character that may, or may not, have gender identity issues."
 *End Flashback*

Now being that I'm such a mature adult, I knew there was no way I really looked like Peppermint Patty.
  Too bad I didn't have any pictures from that time to confirm. 
And then I remembered.
My opera singer buddy, JD, had posted some pictures of his birthdays past on his blog this year.  There was a picture of me taken the exact summer the Patty comment was made! 
With excitement I went to check out the picture again...knowing there would certainly be no Peppermintness in me at all.

Oh. my. goodness.

I did look like Peppermint Patty.
 Same hair cut, same baggy shirt, and since it was summer, I'm sure the exact same freckles. 
(Why did I ever think XXL was an appropriate T-shirt size for me?)

And besides my Peppermint Pattiness, I have two other things to say about this photo:

1. (And most important) Praise the Lord for highlights.
2. Is it just me, or do all of us in this picture look the same age?
JD is in the front and it was his 14th birthday. His brother, Matt, would have been 17ish, and I was 24.
(And yes, You're right! If I was 24 then the picture was taken last year!)

2 comments:

leiamarie82 said...

Your life=my life. I totally had to take that technology course which included using Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. And I'm equally dissatisfied with the whory Velma.

Joseph said...

i'm pretty sure that i was the only 14 year old in crockett who had waterford crystal at his birthday party (not that I'm complaining one bit)