Sunday, January 16, 2011

And Now This Is All I Got...

As you can tell by the picture of Reed with a Mr. Potato Head mouth, I'm kinda out of blog post ideas.
 I thought about posting the pictures of Kyle and Reed skiing on Saturday, but they pretty much look like the ones from the last time. So I nixed that idea. (You'll know I'm desperate if those pop up tomorrow.)

I usually write my posts in my head while I'm running. 
And as I was running today, I came up with...nothing.

So, I guess I can just tell you about my run today. 

I'm training for The Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab, Utah in March.
It's billed as one of the most beautiful courses in the country, and they're pretty proud of it too since we had to put in for a lottery to get chosen to run.
Obviously, we got drawn.
Which I don't know if I'm excited or scared about.
I looked up last year's results and the girl who came in "in the middle" in my age group ran less than 10 minute miles.
So yeah, I know I've got to run 13 miles in about 2 hours and 9 minutes just to be "average".
Yep, no pressure.

So how was my run today?
 It wasn't pretty...in all possible ways.
As we were driving home from church I thought, "Oh, the roads are really clear, I'll just run outside today."
It was still about 19 degrees when I started out, so I figured it was important to wear most everything in my closet:
Two pairs of pants, long sleeve shirt, fleecy shirt, vest, gloves, and knit stocking hat.
I caught a glimpse of myself...and with my black hat, vest, and gloves I think I might have looked more like a bank robber.
Plus, I got hot about half a mile in.

I was also wrong about the roads being clear.
The roads in our neighborhood still have plenty of ice and packed snow. 
Packed snow isn't hard to run on, but I was scared to death I was going to slip on the ice.
So there was much more leaping in my run than I like. (And just so we're clear, I prefer no leaping during a run.)

Another problem...
I haven't run outside since October.
October!
Needless to say, running on a treadmill is nothing like the "real" thing.

So here's the recap:
I looked ridiculous, I was dodging ice packs, and I was s-l-o-w.
How slow? Slow.
As in, I might as well take up walking as my new sport of choice.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I'm just impressed that you run! Inside or out you go girl!

Angie Vik said...

I'm with Jill. Your running is impressive. You must be lots younger than me. Not many of my friends run. But I do play volleyball twice a week. Hope your training goes well. It will be fun to hear about your progress. See you didn't think you had anything interesting to write about, but non-runners find runners interesting. As long as we don't have to run ourselves.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I was just thinking this today. I did 5 miles today and at 46 degrees I was cold ;oP. Kari and I are both scared too...especially since we aren't use to the altitude or the temp. I'll be happy if we finish at 10 min miles!

BTW, my blog post that I started today was about canyonlands too. I haven't posted yet because I'm looking for my canyonland pics. Wanted y'all to see how fab it really is so that we would have proper motivation.

Good luck training...miss you!
- Marcia

Stacy said...

Jan, you would feel MUCH better about your speed if you ran with me! I am gettin faster the more weight I lose, but I am still crazy slow! It's all good though...my main criteria for calling it a "run" is the fact I need to wear a sports bra...if that level if support is required, it is totally a run..and I can be good with that! :-)

GS said...

S-L-O-W is good - isn't it dangerous to run on ice, you wouldn't run well with anything broken or injured, that much I do know. Hats of to you for the great effort.