Monday, October 15, 2012

Summit Fail

Well, I tried.  But I didn't make it to the top of my first fourteener.
(And if you think I'm talking about hiking a fourteener, bless your heart, that's so sweet.)
 
Even driving we only made it to 11,450 ft.
 
 We were trying to make it to the top of the second most visited mountain in the world (Pike's Peak in Manitou Springs), but the road was closed due to snow.
 
(And in case you're wondering, Japan's Mt. Fuji is #1.)
 
 
Snow in early October.
Ah yes, brings back those wonderful *cough, cough* Durango memories.
 
 
Looks like a second Pike's Peak trip is in order.
Next time we'll definitely have to make it to the top...and take more than two pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's a trip to Colorado w/o a trip up Pike's Peak and snow?? So much fun!! MR

Angie Vik said...

The snow that makes Pikes Peak look so pretty from down below isn't so nice when it shuts roads you want to drive on. It was probably for the best. That road made me nervous in summer in good driving conditions. I would be a nervous wreck if I had to drive up in snowy or icy conditions. Especially on the drive down. Yikes. (an almost unrelated bit of advice - if you get as far as Pikes Peak - be sure to drive to Woodland Park to stop at the Donut Mill for some of the world's best donuts.)