Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My Own Little Version of Storage Wars

So long backstory short:  I took a ring of my mom's to get appraised the other day.
I'm totally addicted to Pawn Stars and Storage Wars so I couldn't wait for the big reveal to find out what it was worth.

 
I sat down with the appraiser and started giving him the story on the ring (thinking this would make it all the more dramatic when he told me how much it was worth).


 
"My mom got the ring in the Holy Lands in the 60's. She always called it an 'alexandrite', but I don't  know if that's what it is. Is that what it is? She can't even remember where she got it, probably Cairo.  She didn't pay much for it, she only had $100 for the whole six weeks she was there. She forgot she had it; I wore it in high school.  It's just been shoved in a drawer, and I was thinking about resetting it."

 
He was looking at the stone the whole time I was talking, and finally said, "I've seen a few of these.  People come to me to get them reappraised for their insurance and have paperwork saying they're worth 70 to 80,000 dollars." (That's right $80,000!)

 
I was so excited I almost jumped out of my seat.
This was it.
 Bring in the TV cameras cause this is going to be awe-some!

 
Dramatic pause by the appraiser....
 
 
"Unfortunately, I have to tell them it's worth about five bucks."
 
Waa-Waa.
 
And by the way, he couldn't have been less impressed with me. I've never had somebody try to rush my five dollar stone and me out of an office any faster.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waa Waa . I do love a good Storage Wars story. MR