Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ducks and Coffee and Flying Fish, Oh My!

Mike and Julie arranged a day full of activities for us for Friday.
Our whole group started out on our own private Duck tour.
 
Now you might be wondering what a Duck tour is (Jason thought we were going to look at ducks).
A Duck is a WWII boat/bus that travels on both land and water.  We saw all the sights of downtown, then went out for a water tour.
 
Here we are on land.


One of the highlights of the water portion was seeing the Sleepless in Seattle house. 
We learned it's a "floating house". (I labeled it for you.)


We then headed next door to the Space Needle for the Chihuly Garden and Glass tour.
I made fun of Jason for not knowing what a Duck tour was, but I guess I shouldn't have been laughing too much since I assumed this tour was a wine tasting. 
 I figured we walked through Chihuly Garden and then "glass" meant "drink wine".
 
 
Those of you with even the tiniest bit of art knowledge are probably making fun of me now since Dale Chihuly is a famous glass sculptor and this is a whole building and garden dedicated to his work.



Saturday my mom and I knocked off the other touristy things on our list:

 We were staying on Pike Street so it was super easy to find the Pike Place Market.


We saw them throw the fish, but I couldn't capture an action shot (those fish fly fast) so here's the proof we were there.
 
 
It's also the home to the original Starbucks. Here's the line to get in.
(Um, no thanks.)



We also walked back over to the Space Needle.
 
 
 
And, of course, no trip to Seattle is complete without a visit to the flagship Nordstroms.
 
By Sunday we were so hipster after spending the weekend in Seattle that we didn't even take a cab back to the airport, we rode the Central Light Link Rail.
Yep, we're cool like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those fabulous chandeliers (or whatever they were) look just like the ones hanging in the Gonda Bldg. of the Mayo Clinic here!!!! People thought they kinda went overboard with the décor!!!!Looks like you had a great time in Seattle. Son, Scott and family spent some time there this summer too and loved it!!