Thursday, May 12, 2022

He was Lost but Now He's Found

 On Sunday night Reed reported to us that Stewart (his hamster) had escaped his cage, but he wasn't really sure when he had escaped.

I didn't look for Stewart at all (because I can't with anything in the rodent family) but there was lots of looking for Stewart upstairs.  Jason kept saying there was no way Stewart could climb down the stairs of our house. 

The housekeeper came on Tuesday and I figured she might discover Stewart.  When she didn't find him, I figured we'd eventually be able to smell him.

I walked in the house this afternoon (Thursday!) and Chloe didn't greet me at the back door, which is super unusual.

I found Chloe acting super squirrely in my closet and I knew what was happening. I immediately started screaming and saw that she was "playing" with Stewart.  I was on the phone with a friend, and I accidently hung up on her.  She called back immediately because she was making sure I "wasn't being murdered," but figured I'd seen a mouse. 

My screams distracted Chloe long enough for Stewart to run in to my bathroom.  I shut the door, and ran around the house screaming and looking for something to try and catch him with.  I was hyperventilating, turning in circles, and screaming "they don't pay me enough for this".  

I came back with his food dish thinking I could do something with that, and when I opened the door, found him rustling around in the trash can.  I grabbed up the trash can, ran him upstairs, and dumped the trash can in to his cage.  He tried to escape again but I pushed him down in the cage.  (A mother's love for her son knows no bounds.)

He immediately ran over to his water bottle and went to town. 

I couldn't get his cage top locked and had to make a face time call to Jason at work for him to help me.  I finally got it locked, but put the trash can on top of it just to be sure.  


This is the text the family received to let them know that Chloe and I had saved the day.



And here's a picture Kyle took of his hamster, Hammy, with the fancy camera...because this is as good a place as any to put it. 


No comments: