Friday, May 12, 2023

Hats 1, 2, and 3

I'm categorizing this trip by what hats I wore to each activity.  We landed on Thursday to an airport lined with private jets.  I could see them parked everywhere from my economy seat on United. 

We made it to our hotel downtown where we were close enough to the Ohio River that we could have taken the walk over the bridge to Indiana, but we never had time.

Our first event was a welcome reception where I learned that Kentucky, and the derby, is really in to 2 things:

1. bourbon and 2. cigars

This is what we looked like for that


We were up bright and early on Friday morning to head over to Lexington to the Spendthrift horse farm. 

We learned all about horse farms and I now know:
1. you need to be a billionaire to own one
2. these horses have way better living accommodations than most people


Here we are with the 1,000+ acres of rolling Kentucky blue grass behind us

And with their Kentucky derby trophy. 
I'm not gonna lie, I thought it would be bigger. 

After lunch we headed over to a bourbon factory that everyone was really excited about. (I, of course, had never heard of it)
I learned that 
1. bourbon is just moonshine until you put it in a barrel and age it
2. It's not my favorite drink.

Jason made me drink everything in the tasting; I think just to laugh at my reactions. 

And here's the proof I drank them


I wore my 3rd hat of the trip to dinner at Le Moo which was lovely since I wasn't forced to drink bourbon, and nobody was smoking cigars.


No comments: