Saturday, May 13, 2023

Hats 4 & 5

 We spent all of Saturday at the derby since that's the whole reason we went.  There's an hour in-between each race and they bugle the "call to post" 10 minutes before the race so you know to get back to your seat. 

This was the 149th Kentucky Derby and we looked like this




And here we are at the track

So by the time we took pictures and got to our seats, I had already had enough of my hat.  (It was just too heavy for me to walk around or function.) 

But I was prepared! I brought a back-up fascinator with me (if you look at the first picture you can see my supplies in my clear bag I'm making Jason hold) and worked my crafting magic while sitting in our seats. I was able to fashion a new hat using the straight pins in my original hat. 

So here I am in my "unofficial" derby hat, but it's the one I wore all day. 


All hats aside, we had a great day at the races.

 Jason was doing awesome with his bets! 

We won on Fluffy Socks, General Jim, and Cody's Wish.  We were killing it, I mean I think we made like 12 whole bucks! 

And we had a great view since we were right at the finish line. (We couldn't see the horses starting from where we were).


Here we are enjoying being "big" winners from our box.  We had 6 seats. 

Since he had done so well all day, we were pretty sure we had it in the bag for the big race.  The main race is definitely a different deal than all the others.  People are going crazy!

Reed told us to bet on 2 Phil's and JR told us to bet on the horse that was "picked to come in 2nd" which was Angel of Empire. 

And if you watched the derby then you know that 2 Phil's came in 2nd and Angel of Empire came in 3rd. We thought 2 Phil's was going to win, so it was an exciting race with a disappointing ending.

But even though we lost, we still looked cute and had a super fun day.


No comments: