Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Little Snowman

With the busyness that the end of the year brings, we hadn't done our one-on-one time with the kids since October.
Reed and I went out together last, but we were back together again because I really wanted to take him to Family Day at Canvas and Cocktails.
 
 
(JR went to see Life of Pi with Granny Sherry and Kyle went swimming with Jason.)
 
 
I picked this past Sunday thinking every Denverite would be tucked away watching the Broncos, but I guess there are a few like me out there, as it was still a full house.
 
 
Reed couldn't have been more excited for his "painting class", and started asking me early that morning how much longer.
 
 
But I think the waiting for the teacher once we were there might have been the hardest part.
 
I'm pretty sure the whole world has been to one of the classes by now, so y'all know how they work.  The nice thing about Family Day is the adult doesn't have to paint. 
This was the best decision I made.
I was able to help Reed mix his colors, get his brushes ready, and stand behind him and re-show him what the teacher had explained.
 
 
This little girl next to Reed kept looking at his picture and crying.
Her poor mom was ready to throw in the towel pretty soon after it started.
I would never take the other two to something like this.
It's lots of sitting, paying attention,and following directions.  (None of which are strong suits for the majority of the Ingersoll family.)
 
 
Since it was Family Day, it was a nice, easy painting.
 
 
We had practiced making Christmas trees when he was drawing Christmas pictures this year, so that wasn't hard for him to catch on.
He didn't really understand how to highlight the tress, so I would point to where to add the white and he'd say, "so just follow the lines?" 
 
 
During break time he saddled himself up to the bar and ordered an orange juice.
 
 
And here's his final product. 
 He learned a lot about the differences between painting and coloring. And I don't think he could have loved this day more.
 
Kyle is just as proud of Reed as Reed is of Reed, so the snowman painting is hanging in their room.
(Until I bring it out with the Christmas decorations next year!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He really learned a lot. He was telling me all about the 5 different kind of brushes. MR