Sunday, November 24, 2019

Mini Me

My very favorite thing about middle school was going to speech and debate tournaments.  So when I saw JR's high school had a debate team I totally pushed JR to do it.

He learned to debate last year, and gave it a try at a tournament.  We've learned that debate isn't JR's thing, but other speaking events are.  He's been getting much better at impromptu speaking and yesterday he tried humorous interpretation for the 2nd time.

He texted me after his first round and said, "I did good, but I think I placed 3rd and won't move on to semis".

Then I got a text saying "I made semis".

Again, I got a text saying "I did good, but I don't think I'll make it to finals." 

Last night about 8:00 I got a text saying , "Guess who made it to finals?"

He got home last night and said, "I think I got 4th."  I couldn't believe he didn't stick around to find out the results!  And sure enough, his coach texted him saying that he got 4th place.

I think I was probably more excited than he was. (Ok, I know I was more excited than he was.) 

And this picture has nothing to do with yesterday, except that pictures like this is why he told me he doesn't want to do speech tournaments every weekend. 


No comments: