Tuesday, October 9, 2007

JR's Chinese Lessons

I get lots of questions about how we are "keeping up JR's Chinese". We've tried finding people to come over to the house to talk to him, we've tried 2 different Chinese schools, but what we have found that works best is just to let him talk to his Ayi in Beijing. They talk 2 or 3 times a week on Skype (so it doesn't cost us anything) and because he can see her on the computer, he will actually talk to her. Jason and I usually have no idea what they are talking about, but in this video I took the other night, I think they are talking about the "bad guy" from Automan (which is basically the Chinese version of the Power Rangers). At the end of the video I know he says "airplane", so I'm guessing at that point they are discussing Automan's airplane. Any of you Mandarin speakers out there are welcome to translate for me! The quality of the video is a little dark, but the sound is great, and if you look at JR's computer screen you can see our Ayi!

2 comments:

Me Me Me said...

Okay that is too cute! All Geoff and I could say is, "Chioooo chiooo!"

Kristi said...

Okay, I'm just mesmerized by this. I sat there watching JR with my mouth hanging open. It is amazing how much they can learn at such a young age! JR must be a genius - Chinese and English are two of the hardest languages to learn, right? :)