Sunday, May 20, 2012

Just a Few Minutes from Average!

I ran the Colfax Half Marathon this morning, and when I say 'this morning', I totally mean it since the race started at 6:00 AM!
I haven't run a half since my embarrassing performance at the Canyonlands Half over a year ago.
But, I figured it was time I gave it another shot.
 
Here's what Denver City Park looks like at 5:00 AM.
I actually really didn't mind getting up at 4:00, I don't sleep well the night before a race, so I probably would have just tossed and turned had I gotten to sleep any later.
 
By the time I went to the bathroom (the porta-potty is the worst part of the whole running experience), checked my bag, and got in my corral, it was almost time to start.
Corralling is the second worst part when you're only 5'2".

Here was my view until the race started.
Almost to the starting line.

 
As I began running I started playing WWRD (what would Randi do?) in my head.
 I could hear her saying, "pick a pace you know you can keep for the first (however many) miles."
  I was feeling good doing 10:20 minute miles. So I told mysef I could do that for the first 6 miles, then I could see what to do next.
 
After I got to 6 miles, I knew there was a downhill at mile 9. So from 6-9 miles, I just tried to stay in the 10's. 10:59 minute miles was okay, I was still in the 10's!
 
It was around mile 6 we found ourselves in Aurora.
I took this one for you, Cassidy, your old hometown welcomed us with a giant flag over the street.


 Around mile 8 or so, we got to run through the Aurora Fire Station.
Thanks Aurora for putting out the young firemen to give us high-fives. The eye-candy was quite refreshing!
Miles 9-10 I tried to take advantage of the downhill, and make it to mile 11 before an hour and fifty-six minutes, knowing that if I could do that, I could hobble out the last 2 miles at 12 minutes each and still come in at 2:20.
 
And with a time of 2:19:34 (averaging 10:40 minute miles), that's just what I did.
I crossed the finish line and FINALLY got a medal. 
(This is my 4th half and I've never gotten a finisher's medal!)

As you can see, my medal has a great new home.

So how close to average was I?
6 minutes away.
Average time for the Colfax half marathon: 2:14:33.
Next time, I'm going all in for average!

4 comments:

GS said...

Well, that is plenty to be proud of. Good job, you are a whole lot above average in my book!

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ Sherry. Enjoyed the story. Don't know how you had time to take pictures. MR

Randi said...

GREAT post! You ARE WAY above average! We will totally pick a girls destination race where you can conquer your "above average" goals - I am thinking sea level, like... I don't know... the BAHAMAS half marathon???

Marcia said...

Loves it! Wish I was there to see u get that medal! So proud of u ;)