Friday, October 30, 2015

These are Winners!

I might not have fared well with the storybook character pumpkins, but my real, live storybook characters were awesome. 
 (Kyle's teacher told me twice his costume was her favorite...so that's winning, right?)
 
 
When we were moving I found the DVD to The Princess Bride (I didn't even know we owned it.)  I pretty much forced Kyle and Reed to watch it promising them it wasn't about a princess and that it wasn't a "girl movie". 
 
 
Of course, they loved it and watched it so many times they pretty much have it memorized.  So Reed was quick to ask if he could be Westley/The Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride for storybook character day. 
 
 
(On a side note, I'm actually reading the book to the them and they're enjoying it as much as the movie...or as much as Fred Savage did in the movie.)
 
 
If you aren't familiar with The Princess Bride, here's what we were going for.


And this is our Westley/Dread Pirate Roberts


 
 
Kyle wanted to be Aslan from The Chronicles of Narnia books.  He loves the movies, but I haven't read them the books yet.  I think I started reading them to JR when he was in 3rd grade.  I want them to be able to understand them, so I keep putting them off. 
 
 If you haven't read any of the Narnia books, Aslan is a lion.  C.S. Lewis (the author) said that Aslan was supposed to be "the form in which Christ might have appeared in a fantasy world."  So yeah, I want them to be a bit older to understand the imagery better.
 
Whether he "gets it" or not, Kyle made a great Aslan the lion.

 
 
 
And now I'm just sad I don't have an costumes to work on anytime soon.
(Thank goodness for Christmas decorations!)

No comments: