Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wanna Help Me With MY Homework?

Whether you personally know me or not, one thing you probably do know is that math and I are not friends. So you can imagine the fear that struck my heart when JR whipped out fractions for 1st grade homework. Okay, so I'm kidding (a little). I can do first grade math, but I really started to doubt myself when JR's homework came back looking like this.

Immediately I was mordified that I'd let JR miss all these. (He did it, and I checked it.) So I went to the experts. Luckily I have a mechanical engineer (by degree, anyway) as a husband and a Chinese kid living in my house. Math? Yeah, we should have it covered. And since the engineer and the Chinese kid can't figure out what's wrong (and Facebook friends have confirmed that number 4 is right) I'm bringing it to you. Ideas?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could send it on to my 8th grade math teacher son, Scott!!! Math is not, and never was, my friend, either!!!

GS said...

OK - is it possible that she questioned the fact that he colored the portion instead of labeled it (instructions say label). Which, of course, has nothing to do with the math lesson, just the perfectionist part. In my opinion - Good Job JR!

Marcia said...

The instructions say to label each pic with the fraction before deciding which one is correct. I think the ? Marks are to denote that JR failed to label his pics before providing the answer. Surely if the answers were wrong (which of course they aren't) then the teacher would have used an X. Even in Durango I would think X would mean incorrect...but what do I know???

kyle and robin said...

as a teacher who TEACHES "everyday math" - I will put your mind at ease. number 4 is correct. 5/8 is less than 3/4 - the teacher made a mistake...gasp! it happens, so they tell me ;) she/he may have a question mark there because if JR had shaded 5/8 vertically, instead of horizontally, it would be a "better way" to see that 5/8 is smaller. (because the vertical bars are the same size). does that make any sense? in any case...let me know if you need a "parent's guide to everyday math", it WILL get trickier...even in 1st grade!

Joseph said...

Jan, you should make a play about it and I'm sure it'll be so easy