Thursday, June 24, 2010

Take That, Cinnabon!


I have computer access for the next few days, so I have more for you today than what I can post from my phone. So we've gotta go back and discuss the awesomeness that was the giant cinnamon rolls from LuLu's Bakery and Cafe. We had seen LuLu's on Man Vs Food's San Antonio episode (the one where he does the Four Horseman hamburger challenge with the ghost chillies. He thinks he's going to quit after the first bite, but actually completes it). We didn't tell JR we were going to stop off until right before we got there, and he was beyond excited. (I mean really, is this an excited face, or what?)


Now a couple of warnings about LuLu's:

1. It's not in the best part of town. It's right downtown, not far from the Riverwalk, but those couple of blocks make a huge difference. We didn't get to stop and eat there because we had Hunter with us and couldn't leave him in the hot car. While the kids and I were inside buying the cinnamon roll ($7.50), Jason watched a crack deal go down in the apartment parking lot next door.

2. I would assume it's always crowded. We got there at 4:00 PM on a Saturday afternoon and the place was packed. They have a sign saying they were voted 'best chicken fried steak in San Antonio' and I believe it by the number of people.

3. These giant cinnamon rolls are seriously good. Jason's picky about sweets (Yes, he's one of those kind) and he even said it was delicious. We were eating a prepackaged, to-go one in the car, so I can't even imagine how good a hot, fresh, out-of -the-oven one would be. WOW. And guess what? They ship!

And just in case you're wondering. It took us 3 days to eat it. And we ate every bit of it!

No comments: