Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"Dinner" and a "Show"

We hadn't been living in Denver too long before I started hearing about the cheese-tastic awesomeness of Casa Bonita.
It's a Mexican food restaurant, not known for its food, but for its...shall we call it...ambiance.


Jason called it 'The Mexican food Big Texan', but this place was like The Big Texan times a million.


This place is so classy that you stand in line, order your food, then pick up your food on a tray cafeteria-like style.
Which, as you can see by JR's excited face, is obviously the best way you could ever order food...ever.


I'm not sure what's wrong with my children. I swear we take them out of the house..quite a bit actually, but as soon as they picked up their trays and silverware they all started telling me, "Mommy! This is such a nice restaurant!"


The food was okay (to put it nicely) but, again, the boys thought the red flag to signal the waitress was something only the finest of 5-star restaurants would have.


This place seats 900 people and is decorated like...I'm gonna go with...tropical rain forest, with a giant waterfall where they perform shows. 
They have everything from a guy dressed up like a gorilla, to cowboys having gun shoot-outs. 

 But the boys favorite were the cliff divers.
(Yes, they dive from the waterfall to the pool down below.)
This one juggled fire batons, then did a 'fire dive'.

Witnessing the diving show has brought JR to a crossroads in his life, he's now torn if he's going to be a Benihana's chef or a Casa Bonita diver when he grows up.
Tough decision that kid's got coming.

The kids also loved exploring the giant snake cave (I think it was a snake, maybe it was a gorilla.)


And what's a fine dining experience without a trip to the game room?

2 comments:

Angie Vik said...

Loved your pictures. I have a long history with Casa Bonita. I first went there in 1979 on a Friday night when the place was crawling with people. We took our kids there in 2003 and they loved it. Their Sopapillas are wonderful and that little red flag is a wonder to behold. I like the food okay but my husband likes to call it, "Casa Don't Eat It. I think Cliff Diving would be an awesome career. Certainly would be a good conversation starter.

Unknown said...

Jan,

I grew up with Casa Bonita in Oklahoma. The food was awful, but the sopapillas were ok slathered in honey.

Lee