Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Lots of Singing

I don't think I've mentioned it here, but JR and I are getting ready to be in Houston's 1st Baptist's Christmas show.  The 1st Baptist Christmas show is a really big deal here. People have been going to it forever.  My parents used to go before I was born.

 I decided I'd audition with JR (way back in August), and we both got cast as dancers.  
(We are also other non speaking/non solo, but singing parts.)

I will be dancing in the opening to "Most Wonderful Time of the Year", JR is in a routine with the other middle school/high school kids to "Winter Wonderland", I'm a tap dancing doll in a medley of Christmas songs, and then we are both dancing elves in "Rockin' on Top of the World" (from Polar Express).

Then in the second half of the show we are dressed in Biblical costumes and sing in different songs. We end the show dressed in white robes like we are in heaven. 

We've been going to dance practices since September, and we've been staging Friday nights from 6-10 and Saturdays from 9-2 for the last 3 weeks. 

This past weekend after JR was at these practices on Friday and Saturday, he had to be back at church at 8:00 AM on Sunday to sing with the youth choir in all 3 services.  
It's quite a commitment to be in the youth choir.  They practice every Sunday from 3-4:30, and for a church that is 175 years old (Yes, the church is older than the state of Texas.) with 28,000 members, you'd think there would be lots more youth in the choir. It just goes to show how dedicated they expect these kids to be.


Here are some shots of JR from the big screen.


And a little bit from one of their songs. 


No comments: