Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday Night Update

So the bad news first: according to the National Weather Service the flooding is "unprecedented".
"The breadth and intensity of this rainfall are beyond anything experienced before. Catastrophic flooding is now underway and expected to continue for days."


It's rained all day, but not heavy.  We got really nervous about an hour ago when it started coming down again. I guess we weren't the only ones because both next door neighbors and our across the street neighbors all piled in to the street.


I don't know what we were all thinking, but it seemed like the thing to do. 


I was trying to show how high the water was in the middle of the street, but I guess I wound up also showing how hard the rain was coming down.


Then this is a picture I took of my boot in the water as I left our driveway.
 Those are my black shorts and then the water is at the top of my boot, which was up to my knees. 

I honestly believe if it doesn't rain hard tonight we will make it without our house flooding. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm hoping.


The pictures you are seeing on the news are the same things we are seeing because we can't leave our house. And if we could, where would we go?  Both airports are closed until Wednesday and according to the news today the "entire Houston freeway system is literally paralyzed." 


We don't have school all week, and I wouldn't be surprised if that extends into next week. 


I remember after we had Hurricane Ike and feeling like things would never go back to "normal".  I know they will, but I'm getting that feeling again.  It's a feeling that makes you just want to sit down and cry.


But we have so, so much to be thankful for.  We have electricity and no water in our house!
 Please pray for Houston that the rain will stop. 

No comments: