Thursday, October 23, 2008

I Wanna Be In That Class!

At 5 years old JR is already keenly aware that his daddy is the math, engineering, mechanical parent and I'm the literature (as in reading to JR, not for myself), artsy, creative parent. So he's always up to give me a little lesson from the technical realm. In the car today we had this conversation:
JR: Mommy, did you know that a marz-mello is a see-ander?
Me: What, Baby?
JR: A see-ander. A marz-mello. It's shape is a see-ander.
Me: Oh! A marshmallow is a cylinder!
JR: Yes, a see-ander. It has a circle on the top and a circle on the bottom and its smooth in the middle. (He tries to make a cylinder shape with his hands in case I still don't get it.) A cup is another example of a see-ander.
Me: Wow, that's great JR.
JR: And Whoppers are spheres. And pieces of square cheese are cubes.
Me (giggling): Yes, Whoppers certainly are spheres and I love cubed cheese.
JR: I ate my marz-mello first, because I didn't want something so sweet first thing, and then I ate my Whoppers and then the cheese.
Me: Did you have those for snack?
JR: Yes, they were delicious see-anders, spheres, and cubes!

If only my teachers had been filling me up with yummy snacks....maybe I'd be better at math!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great "real life applications" of math. I think it is interesting that JR ate the cheese last.
Lu

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a toasted sea-ander right now. MR

Anonymous said...

The child takes after his Mother and Maw-Maw - deserts first!
His wisdom seems to burst forward in the car coming and going to school - precious conversation!

GS