Monday, October 27, 2008

Food Network

I can honestly say with 100% certainty, "JR is the pickiest eater in the entire world". The child eats nothing that isn't in the "pizza" or "quesadilla" family and won't try a new food if his life depends on it. He eats NO fruits or vegetables. (Although Jason would holler out "he eats corn," but I don't consider corn a vegetable.) He won't even eat foods he actually likes if they aren't made just the way he wants them. Yes he eats corn (if he's starving and the barometric pressure is just right) but if his corn-on-the-cob has one minutia string of "corn hair" on it, it's over. He'll eat cheese, but if you melt the cheese on pizza or a quesadilla where it hangs off the food, it then becomes "hanging cheese" and is suddenly inedible. Things he will eat like eggs, rice, and dumplings have to be covered (and when I say "covered" I mean "dripping with") Ayi sauce (soy sauce). You'd think we'd have no problems with him eating dessert. He won't eat any kind of pie, any kind of dessert with a fruit that might be hidden somewhere inside it, and he's still pretty leery of Cool Whip. He doesn't even like having fruits and vegetables on the table. When healthy food is anywhere on the table he'll sit there and hold his nose. One time he told my dad, "Paw-Paw, Get those strawberries off the table so I can sit down."
I've tried everything to get him to eat:
I've tried calling a fruit smoothie a "milkshake".
He won't go for it, or takes one sip then says "No, thank you."
I've tried "this is what we're having, and if you don't eat it, you won't eat".
He doesn't eat.
I've tried bribing him, "JR, if you take a bite of that I'll drive you to Toys R Us and buy you anything you want in the store."
He won't do it.
I've tried "hiding" food in other food.
He inspects his food so closely he sees things that aren't even there.
Needless to say, Jason and I have failed miserably in making sure JR eats the food pyramid. Since we were such nutrition failures with JR, we're taking the absolute opposite approach with the babies. Anything we eat, we'll give them some too. Reed loves to eat, and squeals whenever he sees us put anything in our mouths. Jason's stepmom, Elizabeth, is a gourmet cook and she's thrilled with Reeds culinary tastings. She always puts him on her lap during dinner and comments on his "refined palate." The babies really love grapes and bananas and since I've never seen JR have a piece of fruit near him, I had to take a picture. For those of you with children who eat, I'm sure you think I'm crazy, but I couldn't be prouder. Look! My babies are eating fruit!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bananas are an all time favorite first fruit for most children. I am glad for you that Kyle and Reed enjoy them--even if JR will not touch them. After reading this I remembered the fruit ice cream cones I made for Easter, maybe the twins will enjoy one this year for their big brother. Kyle and Reed are growing--can't wait to see them at Thanksgiving--it will be here in a blink of our eyes!
And I like that Sarah! bumper sticker--too cute.
Lu

kyle and robin said...

jan - I've heard that the cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld is a real lifesaver. my aunt Sara uses it for her kids and they are none the wiser that there are actually carrots and sweet potatoes in their brownies and mac n' cheese! good luck!! we are about to start miles on solids at 6 months...let's hope he follows kyle and reed's lead! :)robin