Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mellow Yellow

In a snap, last minute decision I thought the pasture full of yellow "flowers" looked pretty and would be great for pictures. 

I told the kids to jump in the trail wagon and have Paw-Paw drive them out into the pasture. I didn't brush their hair, and had them turn their shirts around backwards (they all had on shirts with writing on the front). 

We took pictures for about 3 minutes before a rain shower came up, and if all my pictures turn out this good from now on, I'm never brushing their hair or planning what they wear again!







If you're wondering why I called them yellow "flowers", well, after I took these pictures I saw a segment on the Houston news about how they're really weeds. 
(We've never had these come up before, we think they were brought on by the drought.)

These yellow weeds are choking out the bluebonnets. 
(We don't have bluebonnets here, but these weeds are popping up in the Texas hill country too.)

The bluebonnet is the state flower of Texas, and people get seriously serious about having their kids' pictures made in the bluebonnets. 
So you can imagine that people are not happy about these yellow weeds. 
Weeds that they can't seem to get rid of, and keeping coming back.

Oops.  Oh well. 


3 comments:

Friedt Family said...

Who cares if they are "officially" weeds, they are still a beautiful color yellow and the pictures are glorious!

GS said...

Those weeds made for some mighty fine picture taking. I did see lots of bluebonnets when driving home from Denver last week, so they are still out there, maybe not as plentiful however.

Angie Vik said...

Wonderful pictures. They glow. Kudos to you for seizing the moment.