Monday, May 12, 2008

For Goodness Snakes!

We were getting ready to leave the house Saturday morning and JR went outside to put on his shoes (yes, our shoes are all outside just like in China) and wait for us to get the babies loaded up. All of a sudden he comes running in the house screaming, "SNAKE! SNAKE! MOMMY, DADDY, THERE'S A SNAKE!" Now JR can be a touch on the dramatic and exaggerative side (I wonder who he gets that from) so honestly, Jason and I didn't believe him at all. As we were walking out the door we kept saying to him, "Now, JR, if you're lying, you're going to get in trouble, did you really see a snake?"
And then we saw it. I almost passed out. I screamed, "JR, GET BACK INSIDE!" At which time, I also ran back inside. Poor Babies, I was screaming, "EWWWW!" JR was screaming, "SNAKE! SNAKE!" and we were both running around the house and jumping up and down. I came back out with the camera and tried to watch Jason kill it, but I ran back in the house when the snake stood up, flattened out it's head, and started striking and coming after Jason. I started screaming, "IT'S A COBRA! IT'S A COBRA!" while JR was inside jumping up and down at the window screaming, "SNAKE! SNAKE!"
At this point I thought it was a good idea to call my mom. So I called my mom and started screaming at her about the snake. She starts calling out all the information to my dad, so all he's hearing is "JAN'S GOT A COBRA IN HER YARD! JR FOUND IT!" I don't know how long it took Jason to kill that snake, but we had a big, bloody, snake mess on the sidewalk after it was over.
Eventhough I had run outside with the camera, I was so scared I couldn't get close enough to get a good picture. In my hysteria, I had the camera on video, but was holding it vertically and you can only take videos horizontally. Jason told me to go ahead and post the video because you can hear me screaming. I only have one picture of the snake, and Jason had to take it because I just couldn't bring myself to get up close enough to take a picture.
JR was so excited about the snake adventure he slept with his toy snake last night, but he made sure Buzz Lightyear was okay with their new sleeping partner. He told him, "It's okay Buzz, don't be scared, it's not a real snake."

Yes, I know the video is sideways...but as you will hear, I was too scared to realize it!

5 comments:

Me Me Me said...

HAHAHA Oh my goodness I'm laughing so hard and loud that the Dish Network guy that's here probably thinks I'm a loon. My mom and I used to kill snakes all the time when I lived at home. Ah the joys of living in wooded areas!

Anonymous said...

Where is a double-barrel shotgun when you need one? You could have swung into one of your old drill team routines and "charmed" that cobra into a basket. I remember those days also, Allison.

Anonymous said...

I could hear your before I played the video! HAHA:)
You might want to check your shoes in the future--never know what might crawl up in them!
So did Jason ever determine the type of snake?
Lu

Jan said...

We don't know what kind it is, from our description Daddy says he thinks it's a "pig nose snake". If anybody can identify it from the picture, let us know!

Kristi said...

OMG!!!