Thursday, July 1, 2010

A New Old Sayin'

We're used to staying inside during the Texas summers because it's too hot to go outside, but what we're not used to is staying inside because it's raining. Here's Reed on the front porch watching it rain. And although this last round of rain is due to the hurricane that just hit Mexico, East Texas has had a really wet summer. (I don't think it's even hit 100 yet!) Usually summer at my parents' house is consumed with talking about how dry it is. Although any form of rain talk is acceptable, the highlights are usually: the last time it rained, when it might rain again, and my personal favorite, how big a rain the town down the road got while my parents 'didn't get a drop'. So I can honestly say the conversation Jason and I had last night was a first:

Jason: So what are your parents doing?

Me: Not a lot. You wouldn't believe how green it is up here. (As apposed to my parents usual description of their land as 'totally burned up'.)

Jason: So what are they talking about?

Me: (Giggling) Nothing! It's so quiet. They don't have anything to talk about!

Which got me thinking about all Mama and Daddy's "Old Sayin's". Being good East Texans they've got one for everything, but seems Old Sayin's don't actually exist when you've gotten enough rain. So I came up with one of my own. Feel free to work it into your next conversation, I need to get it into heavy rotation if it's ever going to reach Old Sayin' status.

"A wet summer brings dry conversation."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord and Pass the umbrellas! Maw Maw

Stacy said...

Good one, Jan!!! Oh, how fun it'd be to hang out with ya'll again...we so need to make that happen sometime!

Anonymous said...

Thankful for the rain. and I love your saying--I think it could make it to "ole sayings"
Lu