Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Farm Scenes

And when I say "Farm Scenes" I of course mean, "pictures I took nowhere near the pasture where actual farm type things would be." I've cleaned enough cow pies off dogs and children that I like to stay near the house...where it's safe.








Okay, so I do have a story about this little rocking chair. The chair is about 80-years old. The German Jew Presbyterian side of the family used to let Gypsies camp on their land as they (The Gypsies) were passing through San Augustine, Texas. This chair is one of the things they made as "rent" for camping on the land. And yes, I said, Gypsies. You know I couldn't make this stuff up!

5 comments:

Jill said...

I have deck envy. All the pictures you've posted of that front deck/porch are amazing. Of course the kids make it even sweeter. What a fun place to grow up. I'll bet the kids are having a blast!

Anonymous said...

Now that is a story I haven't heard! What a treasured rocking chair.
Lu

Anonymous said...

We had Gypsies when I was a kid too. They would camp out in the park near our house and I remember being very afraid of them. They would go into the stores in town and owners watched them as they managed to get away with stuff!! I hadn't thought about it til you jarred my long ago memory!! Pictures of the kids are adorable!! Would love to see you all sometime! JoAnn

GS said...

Really precious pictures!

Shelly said...

So... where does one sign up to have traveling gypsies camp on one's land and leave behind beautiful and sturdy furniture? :-)