Monday, January 31, 2011

A Little Ancestry/History

Now if you've read my blog for any amount of time and you see the word 'Ancestry', then you probably think I'm going to talk about my mother the German Jew Presbyterian. 

But, I'm not!

I also won't be talking about my second favorite genealogical subject: Granny Sherry's Reason-My-Kids Have-Blue-Eyes-100% Norwegianess.

Nope.

Today I'll be talking about my dad's side of the family.

My parents are hosting my dad's cousin reunion this year, and he wanted me to label some pictures so he could give out copies as party favors.
My grandmother is the one labeled "Demetra", and I don't think I'm being biased when I say she's the prettiest one.  She is!
Now, my mom may have the corner market on being the German Jew, but I think it might actually be a little cooler for me to share that my great grandfather (pictured: James Washington) fought in the Civil War.

Yes, you read that right.

Civil War.

Yep. My dad's grandfather fought in the Civil War.

How is that even possible you might ask?
Well, my grandmother was born in 1894. 
The Civil War ended in 1865.
That's 29 years. And as you can see, Mr. James Washington Wiggins was certainly no youngin' when this photo was taken.

On another historical side note, this is my dad (far left) with his parents and brothers and sisters (one sister was missing from the picture).
My dad's oldest sister was 21 years older than my dad (and is standing beside him).
The place where my parents live today is where most of my dad's family grew up. (They moved to Huntsville, TX when my dad was two.) 
It also happens to be about five miles from the Eastham prison farm.

Now you might be saying, "Why does the 'Eastham prison farm' sound familiar?"

Well, if you're a history buff, it was on January 16, 1934, Clyde Barrow (along with Bonnie) orchestrated the escape of Raymond Hamilton, Henry Methvin and several other convicts in the infamous "Eastham Breakout".

And like any other weekday morning, my aunts, (who would have been between the ages of about 9-14) were walking to school that morning. 
Obviously, they didn't know what was going on, but were terrified when they saw a car with convicts waving guns pass by them. 
They ran all the way to school, only to learn later that is was Bonnie and Clyde and company they had seen.

It took until May 23rd that year to track down Bonnie and Clyde who were ambushed and killed in Bienville Parish, Louisiana.  The "Eastham prison break" is considered Bonnie and Clyde's "final run".

So there you have it. 
A little Texas history lesson for the day.

8 comments:

Holly Bennett said...

Your blog is the funniest most interesting blog I read. I came across it via Angie Werley's blog. I love your sense of humor, sometimes I find myself laughing out loud. You have a lovely family! How cool is you dads ancestry!

Jan said...

Thanks Holly! Angie and I used to teach together waaaaaay back when I was young and Angie was even younger! ;-)

Stacy said...

Jan, I don't know if you remember or not, but my momma is a Barrow...as in, not that much of a distant cousin, it turns out from Clyde Barrow! That is like our only claim to fame, but hey..there ya go!

Anonymous said...

I should have named you Eula Pearl after two of your cute little "great aunts". I love those vintage pictures. Thanks for labeling them for Daddy. MR

Jill said...

No wonder you're so interesting! You come from a line of interesting people :) Cool stuff. Apparently I'm related to lady Godiva who rode a horse naked through the streets to protest her husband....hmmmm...not so glamorous....

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this. Of course, I teared up! I haven't seen that family group picture in ages--does it have the year on it? I know it would be early 1958 or before. I would love to have copy of that pix.
Your cuz....Lu

leiamarie82 said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!! (Sorry for the barrage of comments in one sitting...I'm behind on my blog reading!) I am completely confused about your genealogy now, but so, so intrigued!

CC said...

Jan, I LOVE your Texas history lesson and the pictures of your family. Please give us more, more MORE.