Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Texas Texas, Yee-Haw!

Happy Texas Independence Day!

While Kyle's busy doing his best Davy Crockett impersonation (Yes, that's a coonskin cap on his head), Reed is giving a tip 0f the hat to you, Texas, on this, your 174th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence.

My friend, JD, was a little PG-13 rated in his Facebook status about Santa Anna (The President of Mexico who was captured at the Battle of San Jacinto) so I'll clean it up a bit for this family friendly blog and just say...Texas Independence Day! Take That, Santa Anna!

And for you non Texans, I only had to look up how many years ago Texas won its independence. (And if I was better/quicker in math I wouldn't have even had to look that up because I remember we had our sesquicentennial in 1986.) Not only do we Texans take Texas History in the 7th grade, but if your parents (and their parents, and so on) are native Texans, then you hear Texas history your entire life. Which reminds me I'm doing a terrible job passing all this history onto JR...his main knowledge of Texas is Schlitterbahn.

3 comments:

GS said...

What a great salute - who could ever do it any better than that!

Jo said...

I love the post. My dad is form Texas and today is also his birthday. So for him it is a big day to celebrate.

Anonymous said...

We're celebrating with Rick Perry tonight. Yee-Haw! MR