Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jason is Going to Freak

Alrighty. Soooo I'm putting this out here in hopes that Jason will see this before he gets home. (He's not nearly the devoted reader he should be, so this may not work at all.) My plan is for him to see it, freak out away from the house, and then be calm and rational about the whole thing when he gets home.

As I mentioned last week, JR is taking piano lessons this year. Again, this is not something we rushed into. He's been asking for over a year to take lessons. I kept telling him 'no' (since I hated piano lessons so much), but he kept asking. I finally agreed to let him take, but how do you take piano lessons if you don't have a piano?

Of course I didn't want to buy a piano since:
1. I'm still not convinced he's going to continue to think piano is "fun".
2. We literally don't have the room.

So I decided to buy a keyboard. (Jason wasn't intersted in the buying process since 'piano' is not another word for 'hunting'.)

I found an 88-key keyboard on Amazon, got a seal of approval from our friend, Mark, (who plays the keyboard at church) and ordered it.

I envisioned JR sitting on his bed with his little keyboard in his lap practicing away.

Um yeah, not so much.

I started getting a little nervous when UPS Freight called me and asked if a tractor-trailer could get down our street. Then the UPS driver called to confirm I was home and said, "I have a piano for you!"

And even better than the giganticness...It came in pieces.

*Clap, Clap, Clap* Yeahhh Jason! You get to put it together! *And I'm still clapping excitedly*
(Does my sing-song, happy voice and claps make the getting to put it together more desirable? I was hoping so.)

Now some of you might be wondering (as my opera singing friend, JD, immediately asked) "Didn't you know how big it was when you ordered it?" Well, yes, the size dimensions were listed, but measurements fall in the math category, soooo....I just kind of breezed by those.

Okay. So Jason, take a deep breath. (And maybe one more.)

Here it is.



And here's the rest of it


And in case you're math challenged, size comparisons:




10 comments:

Mark Jones said...

Um, Jan... it's a full-size keyboard. They kind of only come in one width. Since there's 88 keys. Standard. So... have fun. It'll be fine. :)

Unknown said...

But it's a full 88-key keyboard! That is awesome! And I am now officially insanely jealous.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing JR playing like Jerry Lee Lewis and for THAT you need a BIG piano. MR

GS said...

OH MY GOODNESS - Yeah, I would say Jason needs a bit of time to swallow this one. I can see it now - his first comment "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING". One way to look at it, JR won't outgrow it for awhile.

Stacy said...

We used to have one very similar to this...are the keys weighted? Ours were..and the thing weighed tons! We used to haul it to church on a dolly!! We sold it to another church's praise band about a year ago to help pay property tax! We decided it was okay to sell when I found a piano on the side of the road...yep, a full out upright piano free to a good home! Craig kinda freaked over me getting that one. Took like 6 men to get it on a trailer and to our house! Ahh...good times with musical instruments!

Jan said...

Stacy, yes, the keys are weighted and yes it is insanely heavy! It would still be in the garage if Ayi wasn't here.

Shelly said...

As your dear and fellow Texan friend Dub-yuh might say, you seriously misunderestimated that one. :-)
On the upside, I bet JR's going to L-O-V-E that he officially has the biggest "toy" in the house!

Friedt Family said...

Yikes! So, how did it go over?? Has Jason stopped yelling yet?

Anonymous said...

When should we be reserving tickets for Carnegie Hall for JR's first concert????? Have to plan in advance, you know!!!

JoAnn

Jill said...

I think it's hilarious that you didn't have room for a full size piano but you have room for a full size....piano (of sorts). I think it's awesome. Can't wait to hear about your adventures with the piano lessons, recitals, practices, etc... So much to blog about with this one!