One things for sure, Durango is almost as different from Houston as Beijing...almost. We've experienced lots of new firsts (MN relatives, please don't laugh at our snow ignorance.)
1. When driving in snow and ice for the first time we learned that it is even harder and less fun than we thought it would be.
2. We were wrong in assuming the roads in our subdivision would be cleared like the roads in town. We had our first experience driving on packed snow...which will be an everyday occurrence.
3. We put the first set of all-terrain tires on our car yesterday. They make a HUGE difference.
4. Jason shoveled his first driveway and sidewalk. He gets to do this everytime it snows.
5. JR rode the bus home on his first day of school. There is one bus for his whole elementary school...ONE!
6. I was the only mom who walked to pick JR up from the bus stop for his first bus ride home yesterday. All the other moms drove.
7. I was the only mom who drove JR to the bus stop this morning. Everybody else walked. First lesson learned about the bus stop: if it is snowing you drive, if it is clear you walk.
8. JR is supposed to wear snow boots and snow pants to school everyday. No jeans because they stay wet from the snow after recess. Being from Texas this is the first time I've ever heard you can't wear jeans somewhere!
9. I made my first trip to town and back without Jason. I was very proud of myself!
10. My neighbor was clearing his driveway with a snow blower while wearing shorts. Texans do not wear shorts their first winter in Durango.