Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fake and Bake

(Disclaimer: This picture has nothing to do with today's story, it's just here to make the grandmothers happy.)

Today's post is yet another instalment of "JR. What Will he Think up to Say Next?"

JR: Mommy, When we lived in China was I tan?
Me: What do you mean?
JR: Like, was my skin a darker color?
Me: You mean in the summer or all the time?
JR: All the time. People who live in China are pretty tan, so was I tan when we lived there?
Me (trying to not fall on the floor laughing): No, Baby, You were the same color as you are now.
JR: Why wasn't I tan? We were living in China.
Me: Yes. But you're an American. Even though you were living in China you still looked like an American. Just like Melissa, she was living in China, but she didn't look tan. She looked German.
JR: But Ayi is tan.
Me: Yes, But Ayi is Chinese. She was born in China, and her parents were born there. Daddy and I were born in America and we look American, so you look American.

Then silence. And I can tell by the silence that he's thinking about what I said, and isn't really satisfied with my answer. I wasn't really satisfied with my answer either since "American" can be many different colors, but I was trying to give him the shortest and easiest answer possible. Thankfully, he soon went on to something else. We always joked that JR thought he was Chinese, but actually, I think he really did!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it made me happy to see the picture. Maw-Maw

Anonymous said...

That is obviously not the end of that conversation, it will return at another time. Thanks for the JR fix!!!
GS