Monday, July 27, 2009

Serious Sliding

Last week our Houston friends, Kevin and April, were in Durango for a family reunion and came over to have dinner with us. As we were eating I noticed that all the skin was missing from patches of Kevin's arms. I then heard the story about how Kevin and his brothers had raced the Alpine Slides at Purgatory (the ski mountain in the winter). After learning that all of them had "burned" the skin off their arms, I was a bit nervous about trying the Alpine Slide myself. April assured me that if you "went at a reasonable speed" your arms wouldn't look like this:


So while my parents were here I got up the nerve to try the slide with JR. JR beat me by a mile since I was determined to stay injury free. (Which we both did.) I don't have any pictures of us on the track since I was busy trying to keep my arm skin, but here's JR at the start.


This morning was JR's first day of a week long camp at Purgatory. When he got off the bus from the mountain I saw the tale-tale sign that he'd been on the Alpine Slide. He said that the girl in front of him had gone so slow (she must have been trying to keep her arm skin too) that he ran into her...then the boy behind him ran into him. So it's not hard to guess what JR's arm looks like now. Yep, check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless JR's heart. Maw Maw hates to see those battle scars. Know he's enjoying camp this week.

Anonymous said...

Well JR has a story to tell now. Sorry he was hurt, but know he enjoyed getting the bo-bo. That Alpine Sleigh is fun--too bad there is not a picture of you on the slide.
Lu