Sunday, December 12, 2010

Crackin' Those Nuts

We were driving home the other night and JR started telling me he wanted to see The Nutcracker. I informed him it was NOTHING like Tom and Jerry Nutcracker (which has been in heavy DVD rotation since Thanksgiving), but he kept telling me he really wanted to go.

Me: JR, now you know it's a ballet. With ballerinas.
JR: Are there boys in it?
Me: There are.  But not a lot, it's mostly girls.
JR: Is the music the same as in Tom and Jerry?
Me: It is.  It's the exact same music.
JR: I want to go; I really like the music.

So I bought tickets for the two of us to attend The Nutcracker on Friday night.

Terrible picture with my phone, but great seats and super excited about the show starting.

 During intermission JR ran into his friend, Steven.  Steven's older sister was a mouse!

JR loved intermission, especially when I got him a hot chocolate.

Thankfully the Ft. Lewis College Concert Hall is nothing like The Stage Theater in Denver.  Not only did the helpful and friendly ushers let JR bring in his hot chocolate, they even let us rest it on the railing!   
So how did JR like the show?
He loved it!
(I'm actually really impressed with his maturity. He sat still through the whole thing and watched closely...only talking to tell me which songs he really liked.)
As soon as it was over he said, "Can we come back next year?"
After tellling me he liked the Russian dancers best,
 he said, "You want to know what my least favorite part was?"
Me: What?
JR: When that baby started crying. Why would people bring a baby to The Nutcracker? We left our babies at home!

Here's hoping JR and I have a new Christmas tradition.

7 comments:

Jill said...

I love that! What a sweet boy you have. And I will hope with you, that this becomes a new tradition. I think it sounds wonderful!

Joseph said...

is JR rockin the Bieber cut?

GS said...

What a great tradition - I love the babies left at home comment. That in itself is way too precious.

Jan said...

If JR is rockin' The Biebs hair, it's only cause he needs a haircut. But he's a big Justin fan, so he'll like hearing that!

Unknown said...

How awesome is that? Who says hunters can't have a little class?

Shelley said...

That is so precious. What a sweet boy you have! :)

Friedt Family said...

That is adorable! What a great tradition to start!!