Monday, December 6, 2010

Getting Serious About the Arts

The A Christmas Carol stories kick in today!
(insert excited happy claps here)

The theaters in Denver are all grouped together, so six of us took our tickets and walked in the first theater we saw.
The guy at the door took our tickets, ripped them, and in we went. As we were walking around I thought, "Huh. Sure seems to be a lot of little girls here to tonight." We gave our tickets to the usher to help us find our seats who sweetly informed us we were at the completely wrong theater.
(We were at the Opera House, which was where the Nutcracker was performing.)

We then spent some quality time with our original ticket taker as he dug through his bucket-o'-stubs trying to find ours!

But the stories don't end there.
 When we got to our seats at A Christmas Carol I was impressed with how close we were to the stage. Of course that means I took a picture so you guys could see.
Seconds later, an usher was all up in my face demanding I delete the picture.
(From this point on all the ushers at The Stage Theater of Denver will be known as Usher Nazis.)

Male Usher Nazi: Ma'am. You need to delete that picture I just watched you take.
Me: It's a picture of the steps.
Male Usher Nazi: I watched you take a picture of the stage. Our stage sets are copyrighted. You must delete the picture now.
Me: It's a picture of a chair and steps. I just thought it was cool how close we are to the stage.
Male Usher Nazi: Ma'am, you must delete the picture now.
Me: This picture? (putting the camera in his face)
This picture of steps, a chair, and an empty floor? I need to delete a picture of an empty floor?
Male Usher Nazi: Ma'am, I'm telling you for the last time, delete that picture now.

And with a big flourish, giant jazz hand fingers, and a fluttering eye roll, I made a big show of deleting the picture.

But guess what?
I accidentally didn't delete it. (I really thought I did!)

So, Bwahahahahaa, Stage Theater!
Here's how close we were sitting to the stage. And while you're looking at the picture be sure and check out the black steps for our next story.


 Yes, The Stage Theater Usher Nazi saga continues...
So we sit down and Jason is sitting next to a railing. He hangs his coat on it and has his arm resting on it. Immediately (if not faster) a female Usher Nazi was all over him to remove not only his coat, but his elbow.
Which he did (very nicely).

Then some friends of people we were with spotted them across the theater. They came over to say "hi", but made the mistake of walking on the black carpet you see in the picture. 
 But they did not walk on the steps, they were on the floor.
Yet another female Usher Nazi was all over them instantaneously.

But this Usher Nazi, obviously tipped off to our previous theater uncouthness incidents, started shaking her finger in the faces of those who dared to walk on the black carpet.

Not kidding.
Wagging her finger in their faces.

At this point I turned into my mother, and began loudly overusing her favorite phrase:
"Drunk with Power!"
But even with all my declarations, the drunkenness still wasn't over!

At intermission Jason made the mistake of letting his elbow slightly touch the forbidden railing.

And let me say that again for emphasis: At Intermission
And I'm not talking 2 minutes until the show started again, I'm talking show-just-ended-and-the-lights-came-on-intermission.

Three little words:
Drunk. With. Power.

4 comments:

Joseph said...

i think i went to school with at least one of those ushers

Hours said...

Man, ya'll are TROUBLEMAKERS! lol. I mean, seriously... didn't you KNOW how seriously theatre people are about their theatre??? lol

GS said...

Ya can take good people out of Texas, but ya can't take the TEXAS out of good people - some people just don't get it - ya gotta relax some! Great story - I have a really good visual of it all and it will keep me laughing throughout the day.

Friedt Family said...

Clearly they are ex-hall monitors who never wanted to hand over the badge when they went to high school...oy.