Monday, December 20, 2010

A Walk in Israel (My German-Jew-Presbyterian Mom will be Thrilled)

I needed to run over to Farmington yesterday for a Target trip, so while we were in town we decided to check out one of the local church's Walk Through Bethlehem.  (FYI: If you've never been to one before, A Walk Through Bethlehem is waaaayyy more than a live Nativity.)

JR and I had been to one before in Huntsville, Texas (all the churches in town get together to put it on), and it was quite a production. I wasn't expecting all that much since this was just one church, but it was really good. (The kids loved it!)

Your guide starts out warning you about the "mean" Roman Soldiers. 
You then encounter the "mean" soldiers, who I thought might be a little scary for Kyle and Reed.
 Especially since there was a little boy about JR's age screaming and crying,
"Noooo! I don't want to goooooo!" 
 It was seriously like his parents were about to drag him through a haunted house.

About that time, the guards all banged their spears and gave a loud "HAIL CAESAR!"
 (I may or may not have jumped a little bit.)
To which Kyle hollered back, "HAIL CAESAR!"

So besides declaring his allegiance to Caesar, you can also imagine what Kyle liked best about the walk. 
Yep, live animals.


JR was so excited they were passing out bread (and not vegetables) he was happy to partake. 

I didn't get a picture of Reed, but he was quick to tell me all about Baby Jesus (who was a real baby, BTW).

Reed: Mommy, I saw Baby Jesus taking a nap. We had to be quiet because he was sleeping.  Did you know Baby Jesus has wings....and can fly? 

He then broke out into his rendition of Jesus Loves Me.

2 comments:

GS said...

What a neat story - when I came to the part about Reed breaking into song, tears came to my eyes. Love it!

Jill said...

So glad to have a review! I've wanted to do this but wasn't sure if the kids would like it. Thanks for sharing!