Thursday, April 3, 2014

Just Beachy

Y'all know I'm always looking for things for my kids to do
(especially now that we're in this tiny house).

 
I came across the Treasures of the Texas Coast Children’s Art Contest put on by the Texas General Land Office.  I figured Reed would have fun drawing a picture of a beach (which he did) and sent it in.

 
They sent out an email during spring break confirming they had gotten our entry, along with 4,168 others (not that anybody was counting).

 
The grand prize winner (not Reed), along with his teacher, won all kinds of amazing things: airplane tickets, a 7 day cruise, and a class party at Schlitterbahn. (No wonder there were over 4,000 entries!)

 
They picked 39 "runners-up" (as they called them) and Reed was one of them!
 They picked 10 kids from each category: K-2nd, 3-4th, 5th, and 6th.

 
And though he didn't win a 7 day cruise, he won some totally cool stuff:
 
-Two all-day passes to Schlitterbahn Waterpark in New Braunfels
 - A ticket to the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus Christi
-A ticket to the permanent exhibit hall at the Houston Museum of Natural Science
-A ticket to the Houston Zoo
-A certificate of recognition and prizes from the Texas General Land Office
-And a calendar displaying the winning artwork.

 
 
I feel terrible that this is the only picture I got of it, I snapped it with my phone before we mailed it in, I didn't even get it all in the frame.
 
You can see the entire picture (along with the other 39 winners) here.

 
BTW, that's supposed to be our family at the beach (I have blonde hair because he had already used too much brown for the sand, and hunter is brown because he doesn't like to leave white areas.)

 
At least I'll have a chance to take a better picture of it since it will be on display at the Texas Capitol in Austin from May 20th-May 27th.


And if I haven't bragged enough for ya, here is the press release: http://www.glo.texas.gov/glo_news/press_releases/2014/april/aab-childrens-art-contest-winners.html
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Reed! I can't wait to go to Austin to see his picture on display. I see that he is the youngest one to win. MR